Illinois-area Summer Music Camps:
University of Illinois Summer Youth Music (ISYM), Urbana, IL
Eastern Illinois Music Camp
Northern Illinois University
Western Illinois University
Illinois Wesleyan University
Illinois State University
National High School Institute at Northwestern University
Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp
Twin Lake, MI
Birch Creek Music Performance Center
Egg Harbor, WI
St. Olaf College Summer Music Camp
Showchoir Camps of America
Decatur, IL (at Millikin University)
• Everything about the camp was just so great. The workshops teach you skills along the lines of dance, singing, song writing, music recording and stage presence. We received valuable exercises that we can take back with us to share with our own groups. Thank you so much, Unity Music Boosters, for giving me this experience.
• I learned many skills including: warm-up techniques, how to select a mouth piece, techniques to improve my audition skills, and to be more persistent with my music. Without this scholarship it would have been a challenge to attend this camp.
• One of my goals was to make the Jazz Band after auditions. I accomplished this goal and this was my favorite part of band camp. I learned a lot of great jazz music and I learned scales. One of my instructors was the Assistant Band Director at ISU, I learned a lot from him. Thank you very much for the scholarship and giving me a chance to attend and learn.
• I learned new techniques on playing my guitar. I also learned new chords, scales and how to improvise. Besides learning about music, I had a chance to make new friends. Thank you for this unforgettable experience.
• It was a great experience to live in a dorm for a week, and live with someone you don’t know. My choreographer was great and so was our vocal teacher. I learned so much like new dance moves, different vocal exercises, and fun new songs.
• In my music technology class, I learned about different music software and technology that can be used to record myself playing and help improve my skill. Being at camp and away from home for a week allowed me to see a glimpse of what life at college might be like if I move away from home.
• The professionals taught me life lessons and ways to be great in show choir. Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to go to Show Choir Camps of America! I hope to bring all that I learned to my own show choir at Unity JR. High.
• Throughout the week I had a rigorous schedule of learning, fun and music. I absolutely loved my time at camp and I met many new friends. On the last day of camp we performed in the Krannert Center, which was without a doubt my favorite part. I loved everything about this camp and I greatly appreciate the scholarship.
• This was the best camp I have ever been to and the music was fantastic! I’m coming back every year. I wanted to thank you so much for the scholarship.
• I learned wonderful tips to help make my voice stronger. I also learned how to hold a microphone the correct way. I was taught new warm up that my friends and I are going to bring to our chorus and show choir. I got to meet Karen Mason who was in “Hairspray” and “Mama Mia” on Broadway. Thanks again so much for my scholarship! I know without it I might not have been able to go to this wonderful camp.
Important 2017 Dates:
Applications Available at Fine Arts Festival (4pm) - March 9
Applications Available on Booster Website (6pm) - March 9
Last Day for Mail Postmark to Apply - 3/31/17
2017 process is complete. Check back in March for 2018 info
Who Can Apply
6th through 11th grade students who are currently enrolled in a Unit 7 Chorus or Band class, and intend to be a member of one of these classes during the upcoming school year.
How to Apply
Select the music camp you wish to attend and fill out the camp application. Fill out the Music Boosters scholarship form and photocopy your completed camp application. All applications must be mailed to Unit 7 Music Boosters, P.O. Box 1063, Tolono, IL 61880. Based on earlier feedback, no applications will be accepted at the Fine Arts Festival or by the music directors. Representatives from the Music Boosters will be available to answer questions about scholarships during the Fine Arts Festival on Thursday, March 9. Applications will be considered with postmarks up to March 31, 2017.
Several scholarships will be given, up to $300 each depending on requests and Music Booster budget. Scholarship applications are evaluated by the Scholarship committee using the following criteria: 1. First time applicant. 2. Order applications are received via the P.O. Box. Those who have received scholarships in the past will receive less than the full amount of $300. Additional funds (up to the full $300) may be earned by repeat recipients when volunteer hours are evaluated as recorded by the online volunteer sign-up sheets. Students are encouraged to apply early as some camps fill up quickly and late fees may be assessed by the music camp.
Camp deposits are to be paid by the student/parent/guardian. If awarded, Unity Music Boosters will issue to the parent/guardian a check for the balance of the camp fee, made out to the camp, up to the maximum award. The student will then submit the camp application with deposit and the Booster scholarship check directly to the camp. If no deposit is required, the award will cover up to 80% of the camp cost, within the maximum award.
Should the student elect not to attend camp, it is the parent's responsibility to contact the camp administration and the Music Booster Treasurer in a timely manner to have a refund issued by the camp, and the scholarship funds returned to the Music Boosters Treasurer. If a refund cannot be issued by the camp for any reason, including a no-show or cancellation that was made too late, it will be the parent's responsibility to reimburse Music Boosters for the full scholarship amount. Should a student not attend a camp due to their registered camp being cancelled, it will also be the parent's responsibility to obtain a refund from the camp administration and return the funds to the Music Boosters Treasurer, c/o Kevin Polonus, Unit 7 Music Boosters, P.O. Box 1063, Tolono, IL 61880.
All scholarship recipients will be asked to provide a brief one or two paragraph letter describing their camp experience for publicity purposes for next year’s music scholarships.
Unity Show Choir Camp, July 24-29, 2017
Ashley Marshall plans to again lead an in-house Show Choir camp at Unity HS. The student cost of this camp is usually in the $100 range for the week’s activities. Please consider the Unity Show Choir camp as another option when considering applying for outside show choir camp scholarships. Additional details: Professional clinicians from Chicago area, attendees divided into Junior High and Senior High groups, each day would include vocal and dance instruction, lunch and fun activities, end of camp Saturday performance for family and friends, t-shirt included in camp fee, additional sibling discount. More details - click HERE
UMB Contact Information – Website: unitymusicboosters.org
Scholarship Committee Contact Info: Marcia Horton
Thank you for your support!
Unity Music Boosters and our Unity students truly value your contributions to Boosters events and fundraisers. Without your support we would not be able to offer these camp experiences to Unity students. Below you will find some highlighted sections of thank-you notes received from our students.
Unity Music Boosters Scholarships For Summer Music Camps
Each spring the Unity Music Boosters award scholarships to Unity 6th - 11th grade students to help offset the costs of attending summer music camps. In April of 2017, $5750 was awarded to 18 Unity students plus two additional for drum majors. All grades were represented and camp attendance was varied from Show Choir Camps of America to Jazz Instrumentals to Drum Major Camp.
The application process is announced in late February or early March, with applications generally due by the end of March.
From the summer of 2005 through the summer of 2017, 231 scholarships have been awarded for a total of $55,756
Copyright 2015. Unity Music Boosters. All Rights Reserved.